10 must know expert painting tips
Simplify your decorating plans with these handy expert tips.
1. Spend some time collecting all the materials you’ll need. Having all your tools at hand will help simplify the painting process.
2. Steer clear of poor quality paint. Your walls will only need more coats and the finish can often look uneven.
3. Invest in a good quality 2” or 3” (5 or 7.5cm) synthetic bristle brush for painting the edges of a wall or ceiling.
You’ll also need a 7” or 9” medium roller for the walls. For narrow sections it’s worth having a small roller.
4. Brand new roller? Wash it in soapy water before you start painting to get rid of any fluff.
5. Worried about paint dripping from the brush? Dip the bottom half of your brush into the paint first. Tap firmly against the side of the tin
to get rid of any excess paint before you put brush to wall.
6. Begin by ‘cutting in’. This means painting the corners, ceiling edges, above the skirting and around any windows, doors before moving
onto the main walls. Repeat this process for each wall before moving on to the next. This will ensure the paint blends together better.
7. Start about a foot from the bottom and roll upwards at a slight angle using light pressure. Stop a few inches from the ceiling. Now roll
up and down back towards the corner to quickly spread the paint.
8. Don’t worry if you get a splash of paint on your windows. Just wait until it’s dry and remove with a paint scraper.
9. Keep your brushes and rollers in a bucket covered with a damp cloth when not in use to ensure that they won’t dry out.
10. Keep a damp cloth handy. This will help quickly wipe off any errors while the paint is still wet.